In loving memory of my Dad, John Flynn, who dedicated his life to the 'hotdogs' of S.H. Armstrong Recreation Centre.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

HOME VISITS COMPLETE

Today I finished my 60th home visit.  It was one of the most heart wrenching.  Jordania is 8 yrs old and lives with her grandmother and her aunt.   She was enjoying her 4 yr old cousin’s company when I was at her house to visit.  Her house is the farthest from the Centre, and in the worst condition.  Only 2 rooms for 4 adults and 2 children.  When I walked out to the back of the home, I was shocked to find her 28 yr old uncle, who is mentally challenged, living in what resembles a horse’s stall behind the house.  There was a bed frame with an old dirty piece of foam on it, which prompted me to ask if he slept there.  The family told me that he is always in that stall.  Up until a month previous, he was fixed to the bed with chains for fear that he would run away.  There are no facilities in that area for challenged children or adults.
My work must continue….

No comments:

Post a Comment