In loving memory of my Dad, John Flynn, who dedicated his life to the 'hotdogs' of S.H. Armstrong Recreation Centre.

Monday, May 10, 2010

APPLICATIONS AND HOME VISITS

We are on our way; first step Applications and Home Visits!  I spent the day filling out applications with all of our Dominican mothers from the school.  I have known most of the children for a few years now, but today met half of their mothers.  We filled out their applications and I paid a visit to the homes with the mothers who will be joining our program.  I have seen a lot of poverty in the years I have been here, nothing really shocks me anymore, but the conditions of some of these homes, are the worst I have ever seen.  Some with dirt floors, no running water, and no toilets.  The backyard of most of their homes is the seashore, which in most cases would be pure luxury.  In the case of Playa Oeste the seashore is a garbage dump.  A very humbling day for me, a day that gave me strength to continue on, more determined than ever….




No comments:

Post a Comment